Fiumicino, capital of the Municipality, municipal seat, forms a single village with Isola Sacra, from which it is divided from the branch of the Tiber called Fossa Traiana. The first appearance of the toponym foce micina (small mouth), referring to the Fossa Traiana, dates back to the 11th century and from it derives the current name of Fiumicino. At the beginning of the 1800s only a few fishermen’s huts and three coastal towers built in different eras as the sea receded rose on the Fiumicino canal. Between 1823 and 1828 the real village was born, designed by Giuseppe Valadier. The reclamation interventions and the natural vocation of a landing place increase with the years the number of inhabitants and the extension, which will become massive between the fifties and sixties with the rise of the intercontinental airport.